Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Thing 29

Thing 29, most probably

I am hoping you won’t take these “Things” down from blogspot. I’ve gone back to earlier lessons several times since October, to reread information, or to verify something. Since so many of the resources are (duh) links, printing the ‘things” won’t help.

I just went back to Thing 9, about RSS feeds and sent the thing link to my brother in Richmond. He was talking about how he gets his news, the browsing of multiple sites, etc., etc., so I asked if he knew about RSS feeds. He had been wondering about the little orange buttons!


Initially I was fearful I wouldn’t be able to get the technical parts, but the program was structured so that it explained what we were doing and walked us through a lot, so that I became more confident. Even though I’ve had trouble with some of the “things”, with practice I’ve gotten better at them. With time I can work out some of the other glitches, too.

DANGERDANGERDANGER: I can be a bit obsessive/compulsive, and found myself spending more time than I should on some of the sites. I can easily see spending hours and hours playing with Library Thing, or Flickr, or YouTube, or (name almost any tool we’ve learned about). Even while reading the introductory articles I’d get lost in a trail of related links. It’s probably a good thing that I haven’t had a functional home Internet connection for a couple or three years.

In looking at other blogs and web sites, I can now recognize what I’m seeing in many cases. For example, back in November I looked at a blog and was impressed by the drawing of the blogger. Now I understand that it came from one of the image manipulation tools (the blogger told me that when I talked to him several months ago, but I didn’t understand him).

No comments: